Roasted Turkey of the Holidays with the herbs from the SOUTH OF FRANCE MCHEF
- 1 whole turkey (8 kg), neck and giblets removed + 2 cups of coarse salt + water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 10 g (2 tsp) of the herbs from the SOUTH OF FRANCE MCHEF
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) of Dijon mustard
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of melted butter (20-30 seconds in the microwave oven)
- 250 ml (1 cup) of dry white wine
- Directions (one day in advance): Rub the inside and out of the turkey with coarse salt. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Refrigerate and marinate the turkey in salted water for 12 hours.
- Directions on the next day: Rinse turkey with water. With absorbent paper towel, wipe the turkey dry. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C) and place grill one level lower than the center rack of the oven.
- In a roasting oven dish, brush the turkey with half of the melted butter. Place breast side down in the dish. Stuff the turkey with half the onions, half the carrots, half the celery, bay leaf and sprinkle with the herbs from the SOUTH OF FRANCE MCHEF.
- Add Dijon mustard on the surface of the turkey. Add remaining vegetables and the herbs from the SOUTH OF FRANCE MCHEF around. Drizzle with white wine and add some knobs of butter on top for a nice golden coloration.
- Roast turkey, uncovered, for 3 ½ to 4 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 180 °F ( 85 ° C) and baste the turkey every 30 minutes with the cooking juice to moisten the turkey while cooking. Let the turkey cool down for 30 minutes before serving.
- Accompany with a delicious creamy potato gratin (see recipe). Bon appétit and enjoy a good time with your family!